Thinking about whitening your teeth in Boise? The team at Boise Family Dental Care can’t wait to help.
What Causes Tooth Staining?
Tooth discoloration can occur for a variety of reasons. Your teeth have tiny pores, which allow foods, drinks and other contaminants to infiltrate and stain. Many reasons are within your power to change, while others are inevitable. Some of these reasons include:
- Age: A tooth’s stain darkens as you age because the enamel starts to thin and show more of the dentin beneath.
- Foods and beverages: Regularly consuming dark-colored meals or drinks like coffee or berries can stain teeth.
- Smoking: The nicotine within cigarettes causes brown deposits that soak into your teeth over time.
- Genetics: Everyone is born with a unique tooth color, brightness and translucency, affecting how stained your teeth appear.
- Trauma: Accidents, falls and sports-related injuries can cause tooth discoloration.
Your Teeth Whitening Options
If you want to whiten your teeth, you have a few options. At Boise Family Dental Care, we offer the following teeth whitening treatments:
- In-office whitening: We’ll paint a protective rubber dam over your gums before applying high-concentration peroxide gel on your teeth for an hour.
- Take-home whitening: Our specialists can provide a comprehensive take-home kit complete with a custom bleaching tray and a lower gel concentration for daily application.
- Over-the-counter whitening: While whitening products you buy at the store are much weaker, they simplify the process with one-size-fits-all trays, strips or paint-on applicators.
Benefits of Laser Teeth Whitening
Laser whitening, also known as laser teeth bleaching, is another popular and effective method relying on a laser to activate the whitening properties of a hydrogen peroxide-based gel. This in-office procedure offers unique benefits, including:
- Speed: The laser teeth whitening process is minimally invasive and often only requires a single session to complete.
- Longevity: The effects of laser teeth whitening last much longer than traditional methods, keeping your teeth white for up to three years.
- Depth: While whitening strips and toothpaste only address surface stains, laser teeth whitening goes deep into the tooth’s core.
Maintaining Your Teeth Whitening Results
After spending the time and money to whiten your teeth, you’ll want to do everything possible to maintain the results. The first two days after receiving treatment are the most important, so follow these tips to preserve your teeth’s brightness:
- Avoid dark beverages or sauces.
- Consume mainly light-colored foods.
- Steer clear of hot or cold foods.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Use a straw when necessary.
Request a Teeth Whitening Appointment Today
Trust the experts at Boise Family Dental Care to give you the smile you’ve been dreaming about. We’ve addressed our patients’ needs for decades, striving to provide an enjoyable end-to-end experience at the dentist. Give us a call at 208-376-7413 or contact us online to schedule your appointment today.