Cosmetic vs. regular crowns
There is no difference between a cosmetic crown and a regular crown with regards to quality, appearance, or price at our office. We give our patients the very best every time! Unfortunately, insurance companies draw a distinction:
Regular Crown: Getting your crown due to a dental need (for example, as the final step after a root canal)
Cosmetic Crown (Elective Crown): Choosing to get a crown to improve the appearance of your smile. A cosmetic crown can:
- Instantly correct misaligned teeth
- Permanently correct discolored teeth
- Instantly close gaps in teeth (instead of using orthodontics)
Pros and Cons of getting a crown through Boise Family Dental Care
- Quick – With our CEREC™ machine we can create beautiful, permanent crowns in one visit
- Stunning Results See our Before and After Gallery
- Crowns are less likely than veneers to fall off and need to be cemented again.
- Our crowns are 100% ceramic so you will never see the grey line around the gums caused by porcelain fused to metal crowns.
- With approximately 20 shades of porcelain and an additional 15 shades of glaze we can match any tooth.
- Crowns are typically more expensive than veneers
- The underlying tooth must be cut away to prepare the tooth for a crown
This gentleman had a severely discolored lower front tooth. After feeling self-conscious about it for years he finally elected to get a cosmetic crown to improve the appearance of his smile. We used our CEREC™ machine and sent him home the same day with a gorgeous new crown. He is thrilled with the result and wishes he’d done it sooner!